Download our Teacher's Guide developed by the head of our Education Committee, Graham Hope. The guide lists creative projects and exercises that can be integrated into the general school curriculum by subject: Language Arts, Science, Art, Building, Social Studies, Physical Education and Music.
There are many YouTube videos available, here are some of our favourites that represent the music that we will be performing:
1. Camille Saint-Saëns - The Carnival Of Animals
- Students may be interested to listen to some of the music while following the score the musicians use.
2. Carnival of the Animals
- Features Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny
- Nash’s poetry included
1. Hear Me Roar! Boston Philharmonic
- Link: http://www.bostonphil.org/sites/default/files/Carnival%20of%20the%20Animals.pdf
- Cross Curricular Teacher Resource Kit for Grades 2 to 5 from the Boston Philharmonic
- Includes information on the instruments of the orchestra, the glass harmonica and composer Camille Saint-Saëns
- Students may participate in an exercise on tempo, building their own “glass harmonica”, a French lesson, and creating animal masks
2. Thematic Unit for Carnival of the Animals (Wausau Dance Theatre, Wisconsin)
- Link: http://www.wausaudancetheatre.com/studyguides/sg_Carnival.pdf
- Includes Ogden Nash’s original poetry for Carnival of the Animals and the ideas for students to write their own poetry
3. Instruments of the Orchestra
- Link: http://www.classicsforkids.com/music/orchestra.asp
- Information on all the instruments and the instrumental families
4. Instruments of the Philharmonia Orchestra
- Link: http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/explore/instruments
- Musicians talk about and demonstrate their instruments.
5. Musical Instruments
- Link: http://www.musicfun.net.au/pdf_files/instruments.pdf
- 24 worksheets about instruments of the orchestra and other kinds of instrument